Your rest stop on the Information Superhighway!

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday, June 18, 2009

Greeeeeeeeeeg!?!

Today, I was talking with my brother when we were rudely interrupted by his phone. Sure, it played a fun ringtone and I danced a little jig until he picked it up, but that's not the point. The point is, he never really gets phone calls, and neither do I--we were excited. He flipped open the phone (he has what's called a "flip-phone", it's truly a sight to see) and proceeded to greet the as-yet anonymous caller on the other end. The caller requested the conversation of one "Greg". Now, in doing so, he didn't so much ask if Greg was there, as much as he assumed that my brother was Greg and that he was ready to have a good old talk.

Folks, my brother's name is not Greg. It actually only shares one letter with the name "Greg", but that's a vowel, which really only counts for half a letter. My brother had to inform this man on the other line that he is not Greg, as he has not been for the past month or so. You see, apparently, my brother has been receiving calls for Greg for a few weeks now. During that time, he has not come any closer to being Greg.

Sad as this situation is for my brother, it must be even sadder for Greg. There seems to be a lot of stuff that Greg is missing these days. This does not sit well with me. Perhaps I should explain. The man on the other line, in presuming that my brother was Greg, became really excited at the prospect of talking to Greg, altering the tone of his voice with an elongated short "e" sound as follows: "is this Greeeeeeeeeg?". One does not do that unless they're ready for some partying or a general good time. This has led me to give this Greg the nickname "Good-Time Greg", to distinguish him from other Gregs (Lugagnis, Maddux, Television's husband to Dharma, etc.).

My point is this: Good-Time Greg is missing out on some good times. My brother is getting what would be Greg's good-time calls, and he's inadvertently turning the good-time meter down a few notches when he informs the good-time seekers that he's not Greg. So my question is this: Greg, where are you? Furthermore, wherever you are, are you feeling something missing? Is there a little less pep in your step? If so, I can bet I know why. Your "in need of a good time" friends are unable to reach out and touch you, so to speak. So please, Greg, Gregster, Greg-a-rama, Greg-a-leg-a-ding-dong, Daddy Long-Gregs, Greggers-can't-be-choosers, Green Gregs and Ham, or whatever other nicknames you use....read this blog, and call your friends. They are looking for you. They miss you. The good times just aren't as good without you.

3 comments:

  1. I wish I knew someone named Greg so I could start calling him "Daddy Long Gregs."
    And this is what you are doing at 1:30 am in my living room? Well played.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This may be the best post ever. Greggers-can't-be-choosers?! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't feel sorry for Greg, I feel sorry for the friend of Greg who obviously has something very mportant that he wants to relate to Greeeeeeeeeeeg. I think the next time he calls, Spud should become Greg. He would be providing a community service.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment! Or, have fun with letters; take out an "m" and an "n", and leave me a comet! Yay!