Your rest stop on the Information Superhighway!

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Monday, June 22, 2009

Grown-up Dreams

When I was a kid, my parents always told me to follow my dreams. It wasn't until I gathered a hundred chickens and strolled naked with them into gym class one day, that my parents realized that my interpretation of their advice was too literal. These days, I stick to the dreams that don't involve nudity (though, a few of those actually came true). You could say I'm more practical, more grown up, more humuncular. You can say that last thing, but you'd be borderline nonsensical.
After all, I'm nothing like a little "man inside a man", in most ways.
Nevertheless, these days, I am getting used to the fact that my dreams must be adjusted a bit to fit my circumstances. For instance; whereas, when I was a child, I had wanted to be a Ghostbuster, I will now have to settle for being a Ghostbuster's assistant. It's more practical, less training is required, and the risk is notably lower. Also, whereas I used to want to be Rich, I will now settle for being Rick, Dick, or any derivative thereof. You get the idea.

The point is, times change, and as they do, so must our dreams. We used to be encouraged to reach for the stars, but now, just flying at a cruising altitude through the cloud cover will have to do. Or will it? Do I, do WE have to downsize our dreams just because we're inching closer to talking seriously about our prostates (ladies, I know you do it too)? Perhaps there is a compromise that we can flesh out with Father Time. Perhaps we can tinker with the copy machine by day, and tweak the time machine by night. You can add a screened-in patio AND a portal to Dino-land in your house! This isn't nearly as hard as people think. we adults are always using our immaginations, it just usually involves breasts or a Swiss Bank account. If only we could re-allocate our dream energy...

1 comment:

  1. I like this. It was almost... serious?! But go for your dreams, for real. Just make sure what you're following is still your dream and not a dream you once had.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment! Or, have fun with letters; take out an "m" and an "n", and leave me a comet! Yay!