Your rest stop on the Information Superhighway!

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Monday, April 20, 2009

SNOBservations: Still No Flying Cars?!

This post is going to start what in in the blogosphere call a "feature" (don't be scared, folks, it's just a buzz word). It's called "Snobservations" and it is where I put on my snob hat, made of 100% pure pretense and make timely comments on even timelier issues. Well, enough introductory verbiage, away we go!

As a child of the last few decades of the 20th century, I was led to believe that I had a great era in front of me. For years, the year 2000 was touted as the time when "the Future" would become the present. Now, technically this did happen, as the year 2000 became the present. However, that year did not bring us into the capital F future, as was promised. That future was a packaged deal, much like a patio set, and along with cyborgs and space travel, it included the chase lounges of hoverbaords and flying cars.

Now, even as a child, I knew that many of the fantastical things promised by the Zemeckises and Spielbergs were mere pipe dreams. But I gave enough credit to human industriousness to hold out for flying cars. To me, flying automobiles became the embodiment of the Future. But alas, it is almost the end of the first decade of the 21st century, and cars are still as terrestrial as ever. Ladies and gents, I don't ask for much. I don't mind if trucks also fly, I don't demand any efficiency or economic benchmarks be met, I merely want the cars to speed along without using the ground. I don't even care so much if I myself can drive one, the powers that be can demand special licenses and such (it makes sense, after all). All I am asking for is that the cars are in the air. Yes, there are people starving, a worldwide economic meltdown, etc. But, if building planes and tanks cured the last depression, flying cars can only do good things. It's not like you have much to lose, GM.

3 comments:

  1. I would settle for a hoverboard and Biff chasing me around downtown Futureville.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I know what y'all are talking about. I keep waiting for my invisibility cloak.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What has four wheels and flies?
    A smelly Stephen Hawking.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment! Or, have fun with letters; take out an "m" and an "n", and leave me a comet! Yay!