Your rest stop on the Information Superhighway!

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

You're Not Fooling Anyone, Letter W!

Okay, 23rd letter of the alphabet, it's time you heard this from someone; you're doing nobody any good hanging around with R. I know, you may have some good times, you may enjoy the companionship, but we both know that your presence in R's affairs is superfluous at best. He could do without you. So why do you insist on hanging around with him in words where you're right next to him? He does all the work, and gets all the credit when it comes to pronounciation. Do you just like to come first? Does it give you a thrill to be capitalized? It just seems like you want the attention. Here's a list of words on which you collaborate with R frequently:

Write, wrong, wrist, writhe, wraith, wrap, the list goes on...

Notice anything? You can't be heard! If you were taken out, there would be no difference. Perhaps the Wright Bros. would have some beef with getting rid of you, but upom further examination, the resulting "Right" more accurately describes them. They gave us flight, after all! Most of the wr/non-wr homophone discrepencies which are not solved by spelling differences are solved by context anyway. (note: "context" here does not refer to a book written by a prison inmate). When I'm told to "take a right", I don't take out my journal and pen while I'm at the intersection. When someone asks me to wrap a present, I don't sit the parcel down and spit phat rhymes at it. Do you see what I'm getting at, W?

This doesn't mean that it's over for you, w. You have your own work, solo projects of yours that are pretty successful. Take some time for you (not the letter U, who never treated you right anyway). Be proud of words like West, Weiner, Win, and World. If you could just drop R, instead of "wring", you'd have "wing", and you could fly away home.

2 comments:

  1. I'd tell you this was witty, but I think all "W" words are pissed at you right now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you think about it, the W makes the R a softer R. There is a distinct difference in the sound. But you never took a phonetics class, did you?

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment! Or, have fun with letters; take out an "m" and an "n", and leave me a comet! Yay!